(MB: t. 25 (gross); 1. 60'; b. 12'; dr. 4' (aft); s. 9 1/2 mph.; cpl. 9;
a. 1 3-pdr., 2 mg.)
The second Althea (SP-218)-a motorboat constructed in 1907 at Steinway (Long Island), N.Y., by the William Whitlesey Co.—was formally purchased by the Navy on 15 June 1917 from Mr. James H. Moore more than a month after she had been taken over and commissioned on 12 May 1917, Ens. E. L. Anderson, USNRF, in command.
Assigned to the section patrol in the 9th Naval District, she conducted operations from her base at Detroit, Mich. Laid up for the winter on 14 November 1917, Althea returned to duty in May 1918. On 2 August 1919, her name was struck from the Navy list, and she was laid up at the Naval Training Station Detroit. There, she remained awaiting sale until 18 March 1920 when she sank as a result of ice. The motorboat, still under water, was sold for salvage on 12 May 1920.